04 May Thinking about a Prenup? What You Can Learn From These Celebrity Couples
These days, more and more couples are starting their new lives together with not just a marriage license but a Prenuptial Agreement. There is frequently awkwardness associated with a Prenuptial Agreement—it’s a difficult conversation, but it’s just one of many important discussions that married couples will have throughout the course of their lives. Being open and honest is critical to the success of every marriage, and successfully negotiating a Prenuptial Agreement is a very good place to start.
When it comes to Prenuptial Agreements, those who are contemplating this agreement are in good company. These celebrity couples drove some hard bargains before getting married!
- Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman. Keith will receive $640,000 for every year this duo is married, unless he uses drugs, in which case he receives nothing.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas. Catherine demanded that, if the couple should split, she would receive $2.8 million for each year of marriage.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Angelina demanded that if divorced, their kids become her kids. Apparently money wasn’t mentioned.
- Liz Taylor and Larry Fortensky. Remember this one? Fortensky was a construction worker when they married in 1991. They divorced after five years—their prenup stated that he would receive $1 million after five years of marriage.
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. If they divorce, Kim receives $1 million for every year of marriage.
- Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving. Though Spielberg stated they had signed a prenuptial agreement, it was written on a napkin, and Amy Irving said she didn’t have legal representation present. Spielberg settled with Amy for $100 million.
While you may not have the assets of these celebrities, many couples today are marrying later and have accumulated significant assets. They also may have inherited property and have children from former marriages. All of these are very good reasons to create Prenuptial Agreements.
Our team at California Document Preparers is skilled at putting couples at ease to help them prepare their Prenuptial Agreements. Stop in at one of California Document Preparers three Bay Area locations to get started on your prenup in plenty of time for your summer wedding!