04 Nov Bill’s Creamed Onions
Posted at 17:35h in Blog
Butter and nutmeg help bring out the sweetness of the onions. This dish can be prepared ahead of time.
- 4 T. butter
- 4 T. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 2- ½ lbs. pearl onions
- ¼ t. nutmeg
- 2 T. chicken bouillon paste or powder or 2 bouillon cubes
- ½ t. paprika
- 2 T. sherry
- ½ c. parsley
- ½ c. toasted almond slivers
- ½ c. minced celery
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ c. bread crumbs–grind fresh bread in food processor
- 2 T. soft butter picked into small bits
- Steam onions in skins. Wait until cool enough to handle, trim ends and remove skin. Place in buttered casserole.
- Melt butter over low heat. Add 4 T. flour and make a paste. Add milk ad stir until thickened.
- Add nutmeg, bouillon, paprika, sherry, parsley, almonds, minced celery.
- Pour over steamed onions. Mix and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and add the bits of soft butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees until top is lightly browned and onions are bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes.